PAID INTERNSHIP AVAILABLE: MUSIC INSTRUCTOR INTERN
Days: 5 days per week, Monday – Friday
Hours: 5.75 hours/day, 8:45am-2:30pm
Wage: $15.50 / hour
Reports to: Program Director
Internship Period: 4 months
The Enrichment Center (EC) provides a visual and performing arts program of studios, workshops, and community options, for adult artists with developmental disabilities. From 9am to 2pm, Monday through Friday, 12 months per year, the EC Artists and Staff are engaged in study and practice in visual and performing arts. The EC is a licensed adult day program, located on the 3rd floor of the Multicultural Arts Center in downtown Merced, the EC is a vendor for CVRC.
A Music Instructor Intern provides direct care and supervision for enrolled artists, while facilitating artist engagement in the Performing Arts Studio. The Intern will be part of a cohesive team of experienced artists; teaching and mentoring other experienced artists who have developmental disabilities.
The EC Artists work in a variety of performance; acting, dancing, singing and movement. The intern will be primarily with artists working in music. Artists in the program want to learn about song writing, recording, dancing, singing and how to play instruments.
At minimum, to qualify for this internship, the candidate will have demonstrable experience with any of the following;
- Singing & Vocal Warm-Ups
- Instruments like percussions, we have a variety of hand held drums for workshops, studios or drum circles.
- Instruments like guitars we would borrow from our community.
- Music History
- Other musically inclined skills, note in your cover letter.
*Ideal candidates will have some available video or sound recording of performance in venue or home setting. Understanding of video/audio recording with flexibility or a willingness to learn is plus.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE YOU WILL DEVELOP
- Understanding varying experiences, and problem-solving barriers in the studio.
- Developing basic leadership skills—making decisions, communicating effectively, and taking responsibility.
- Greater understanding of human behavior, as well as observation and documentation skills.
- Direct Care skills such as emergency preparedness and first response.
- Working with a team of creative people, each one with specific skills, all with the same mission.
- Providing mentoring, support, and guidance during Performing Arts Studio and Workshops.
- Planning, prepping and instructing workshops.
- Work with EC staff to provide direct care and supervision at all times.
- Designated projects.
- Work with EC staff to maintain a clean, organized studio, share tasks, document observations, and complete paperwork.
- 21-Years-Old or older.
- Completion of high school.
- Ability to fulfill assignments.
- Expertise in music.
- Understanding of music history and technique, and appreciation of various styles.
- Ability to break techniques into basic steps and translate concepts into accessible language.
- Punctuality, reliable attendance, with an absence of self-distraction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional, ethical, and honest, treating artists and team, with respect and patience.
- Works cooperatively with team, and takes responsibility for tasks, assigned or standing.
- Compliance with Policies & Procedures.
- Takes direction; Excellent comprehension and execution of direction.
- Active observational skills.
- Takes initiative; Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Does NOT create drama or instigate negative behavior.
- Upon accepting the position, provide health screening and negative tuberculosis (tb) test result (paid/reimbursed by EC)
- Upon accepting the position, pass criminal background check (paid/reimbursed by EC)
Please send resume and cover letter as PDF attachments to Director@ECArtists.com using Music Instructor in the subject line.
Email confirmation upon receiving complete application. You may receive a portfolio/recordings of performances request at that time. With enough qualified applicants, we hope to begin review and selection of candidates for interview as early as Late April 2023.
 If you have ANY misdemeanors, felonies, or convictions, other than minor traffic violations, you will NOT pass the background check. If you withhold this information during the hiring process, and/or your background check prompts requirement for an exemption, the internship will be rescinded and offered to another candidate.